RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication, and is essentially a news feed of all your favourite websites. Rather than checking the website on a regular basis to look for updates, RSS allows all of the updates from users favourite websites to be shown on one simple webpage. Websites can be added in a three different ways. The first method of adding a website to ones RSS feed is to search using a keyword. This is effective if you have a specific subject you are looking for, or want to find the website but do not know the URL. Another method for adding a website to the RSS feed is to go to the website using its URL. Many websites have a RSS tab you can click on to add it. Many browsers these days also have a RSS tab in the address bar, making it even easier to add your favourite websites. Another option for finding and adding RSS feeds is to use subscriptions or recomendations. When signing up for Google Reader, a number of recommended feeds was given. Going through these options provided a number of sites to follow. The only downside was the time it took sorting through the uninteresting sites.
Using an RSS feed is a lot easier than visiting sites daily to see what is new. Since some websites update their site inconsistently, it allows users to only pay attention when something is new. This saves time rereading old stories.
I don't think that I would personally use an RSS feed, especially on a daily basis. It seems like a great idea if there were a number of sites that I was reading on a regular basis, however I tend to read only a handful of sites, and not often enough to be worried about missing something. Rather than taking the time to go to the RSS reader, I could check out half dozen webpages themselves.
A web based aggregator may be better to use because it would not use up as much hard disk memory, and could be accessed from any computer with internet access.
Overall I found RSS to be interesting, and useful to some people, just not myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment